Sunday, February 10, 2013

Prisoner Reentry Programs


More money than ever before has gone towards reentry programs in recent years. Nonetheless, the overwhelming majority of convicted persons come away from their quest for effective reentry program support disappointed, at best.  This disconnect between increased expenditures for reentry programs and the prevalent alienation of most convicted persons from these programs results from the inclination of most nonprofits to actually do as little as possible to get funded.  That said, what should a credible and effective reentry program look like?

Fundamentally, a credible and effective reentry program must offer holistic support to as many convicted persons as possible.  The credibility of a reentry program directly connects to its availability to all levels and types of offenders.  Many programs won’t service sex offenders, and/or violent offenders.  Even after eliminating those most serious offenders from eligibility for services, many reentry programs effectively discourage most other convicted persons by preferencing the lowest possible level of offenders for attention.  This amounts to a deliberate avoidance of cases that pose the greatest challenges, in terms of successful reentry outcomes.  Such an organizational mindset essentially aims to rig the numbers to the organization’s benefit at the expense of leaving the neediest convicted persons tragically underserved—or unserved at all.

Holistic reentry support must seriously address two primary requirements for successful reentry: employment and housing.  These twin peaks of successful reentry receive much lip service—but much less direct engagement.  We need not, and should not, waste resources earmarked for “reentry” on support services already available in most communities for all who need them, e.g., substance abuse and addiction programs, mental health services, subsidized health care, “job readiness” programs which do nothing more than create resumes and practice interview skills, etc.  Any reentry program that eschews direct engagement with employers and housing providers merely serves its own parochial interest, and disserves the interest of the disadvantaged population it claims to serve.

So, how would you answer the question posed above: What should a credible and effective reentry program look like?





10 comments:

  1. The program in place here at Southeast Community Services in Indianapolis In., I believe is a true reentry program in terms of what truths to reentry exist in Indianapolis. Indianapolis is extremely grassroots motivated in almost every area of life. Indy reentry truths consist of focus on the "survival needs." (employment, housing, food, clothing, and transportation) These are the things we put our resources behind, with an added dose of reality, humility, and an open mindedness that is required from the client. The SECS program takes criminal histories from misdemeanors to major felons who live in our catchment area. (Can't get around that red tape.) I tell everyone who walks through my door that their is no judgement in my office, I need to know you are going to be honest with me and do your part. If they agree, I give them 100% of my effort. That effort does include going door to door developing relationships with potential employers and private rental agencies. Those relationships also exist with parole, probation, community corrections, and any agency with services we are not currently providing such as mental health and substance abuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Carlette, and for the very good work of your organization. In the not too distant future, I hope to visit Indianapolis to get a closer look at Southeast Community Services. I want to bring attention to the programs that really do the work required to create successful reentry outcomes. Big kudos!

      Delete
  2. I think that for reentry to really be successful we can take a lesson from countries like Denmark, Norway and places like that where the success depends on how the community embraces people coming home from prison as opposed to shunning them. When people feel accepted and inclusive they tend to do much better and recidivism tends to decrease due to that type of support. This is also something that the Canadians are and have been embracing as a way to stem the tide of recidivism as well. So there are models out there that we can look to for guidance but we first have to get the powers that be to lose the arrogance and pride that they have and come to an understanding that we can learn something from other societies and cultures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Yarima. What I say to folks is that most of us have a sense of what should happen, in this case, when convicted persons have satisfied the legal penalties for their misdeeds. Nonetheless, the problems associated with reentry remain. That suggests to me that those of us engaged in reentry have to take ownership of the process of change we know must occur. We must create a movement, for us and by us, to create change.

      Delete
  3. You talked about ban the box at the HHLC last week. What other initiatives like that are part of the movement by former felons? How can I help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and question, Doc. My answer is twofold. First, a number of convicted persons are engaged in their own isolated efforts around the country. The key word there is "isolated." You can scan through the posts at my Reentry USA page on Facebook for examples. Second, no effort that I am aware of approaches reentry from the big-picture, movement-oriented perspective I'm proposing.

      As for how you can help, share the posts at the aforementioned Facebook page; retweet my tweets at @reentryjournal1 on twitter; continue to support this blog; continue to include reentry on the agenda at your yearly conference. Also, I hope to work with you on a series of talent/concert events and fundraisers in the near future.

      Delete
  4. First I would like to commend your persistence and your willingness to reach out to those that have found themselves on the outside looking in. I had been working in a faith based transition home environment for the past several years and now having relocated to Arizona have joined Prison Fellowship in seeking to find ways to restore them. I am convinced that it is only through God's hand that this can be successfully accomplished. I also realize that there are many that don't feel the same way that I do and do not wish to discourage any attempts to help. The healing power and love that can be shown is truly awesome and inspirational. Providing the ex-offender with love and support is key to their success. These actions will create a hopeful environment and with hope the path to success will be found. Without it there is only despair and failure. Keep up the good work and I will will keep your efforts in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Cliff. You have spoken powerful truths that require no further explication. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy reading your blog, as I'm a newbie to your post. I'm an ex-offender, and I've finally been able to begin working in my pursuit to keep inmates connected to with their families through my mobile app. One of my concerns when I consider my transition back home from my prison sentence is how others behind me will successfully be able to do it. I honestly believe that it was simply because of my support system in my family that allowed for my own re-entry not cause its own fire storm. I agree that programs are simply not enough when considering the out-of-the-door pressures that run themselves rampant surrounding the two most vital components of ANY PERSONS success: housing and employment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Marcus. Feel free to drop details here about your mobile app.

      Delete