Sunday, February 13, 2011

Reentry Case Study

I met Mary almost two years ago, while volunteering at a program that helps ex-offenders in their job search.  When I ran into her the other day, I really didn't remember her.  Something about her seemed familiar, though, as we made eye contact.  When she subsequently approached me, and prodded my memory a bit, I began to recognize her spirit.  No, I still didn't quite remember her, per se.  I did remember her spirit.  That's because Mary has a very special spirit.  I'm not easily impressed by most people but Mary has the sort of sweetness that overwhelms.  Mary also has a conviction for felony-five drug possession, and it has ruined her life.

She got involved with a guy who, apparently, moved around in the drug culture.  When the police showed up at her door one day, Mary made the mistake of allowing them in, and consented to a search of both her residence and her person.  A minute amount of cocaine turned up in a closet, along with a very limited amount of associated paraphernalia.  Ultimately, Mary received three years probation for her first, and only, offense--at the age of 52.

Despite a long and steady work history, Mary has found it impossible to find a job since her conviction.  She's bright, articulate, computer literate, and a joy to engage.  She rises at 5 o'clock every morning, exercises, prays, and conducts job searches online, and on foot.  After over 300 job applications, Mary finds herself alone, penniless, and near-homeless.  Her "reentry" experience has proven quite traumatic, and she appears extremely vulnerable to possible exploitation by  predatory elements that seem to lay in wait for people like her.

I have met many Marys during my own reentry experience.  Perhaps you have, too.  Doesn't it make you sick?  Doesn't your spirit swell within you, every time you come across someone like Mary?  If you answer "yes" to those questions, I have another question for you:  How long will you ignore the prompting of your spirit to make a difference for all the Marys--and their male likenesses--drowning in the sea of callous indifference that slowly but surely smothers the life out of them?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment